Start from the chapel of Chataquila at 3.665 meters over the sea level on the edge of the “Cordillera de los Frailes”. Walk down the Inca trail heading to Chaunaca enjoying the impressive landscapes. Once you reach Chaunaca our car will pick you up and take you to the Ravelo River where you can have a break and swim if you like. Next the car will go across the river and take you to the crater of Maragua.
Don’t want to hike but you want to enjoy the view from the car? It’s still worth the trip! Around the villages there is a lot to see as well. Locals will be happy to show you their weavings and their lifestyle. You can also visit the cemetery, the waterfalls and the Sacred Cave under the waterfall in Maragua. Beware of the brown snakes in the humid parts!
By the way, we pay your entrance fee for the walk along the Inca trail, this fee is for the local communities who takes care and maintain the tourist attractions. Is up to you if you want to do some hiking or just visiting the community of your interest, depending on what you like. The car will be close all the time. Everything is flexible, just coordinate with your guide.
• Departure at 08:30 from Café Florin / Back around 17:30
• Hiking 7 km in about 3 hrs
• Time spend in Maragua 2 Hrs
• Time spend in the car about 4 ½ hrs
• Difficulty: easy to moderate.
• Private transport from/to Café “Florín”
• Bilingual guide (Spanish/English)
• Entrance fees
• Lunch Box
• Mineral water, coffee, thee, cookies, fruits.
• Free drink at the end!
• (Alcoholic) drinks
• Fruit or candy for the little kids on the way (or game things such like a soccer ball, etc..)
You need to bring:
Good walking shoes, hat, sunscreen, sun glasses, camera, bathing suit, towel and personal necessities.
Try not to bring too much things like soft drinks and snacks or chocolates from the city, instead you can buy some products there to support the little villages, this way the Tourism will make sense to the local people.