From the high Andes mountains to the low Yungas! El Choro Inca trail
Trekking: 3 Days, 2 nights
The El Choro trek is the most popular trek with tourists due to its easy accessibility from La Paz, stunning views and varied scenery. Ranging from chilly Andean mountains, down through cloud forest to semi tropical rainforest it offers a range of conditions to deal with but is also a fantastic introduction to the varied environments of Bolivia and the different conditions you can encounter trekking here.
DAY 1 – La Paz to Challapampa – Mountains and Inca Paving
You will be picked up from the hotel at around 08:00 am. in private transport for the 45 min to 1 hour drive to La Cumbre (4.700 m.a.s.l.) which is the starting point for the trek. Here it can be very cold in the mornings and it is not uncommon to find snow and ice on the ground so you will need warm clothing for this section where you will start the trek which is going to lead us to the warm valleys of Los Yungas. We will walk up to 4.900 m. and here we will find the pre inca trail and then we start to descend. After around a 6 hour walk, we will arrive to the village of Challapampa where we will set up camp.
DAY 2 – Challapampa to Sandillani – Cloud Forest Views
Today is a longer walking day and involves several up and down sections . As the day goes on the vegetation becomes denser and the climate more tropical. The views are stunning and very typical of the “Yungas” cloud forest area. After around 8 hours walk we will arrive at the small population of Sandillani where we eat and spend the night camping
DAY 3 – Sandillani to Coroico – Semi Tropical Jungle Trails
The last day involves around 5 or 6 hours walking and is mostly very hot so you will need plenty of water and it is advisable to use insect repellent. The trek ends at the village of Chairo where we will return in private transport to La Paz.
EMERGENCIES AND SAFETY – Our guides carry a first aid kit, cel phone and long range radios. Also for your convenience the guide will have available “gaffa” tape for repairs or patching skin hotspots (pre blister areas on your feet), shoe laces, disinfectant hand wash.
INCLUDED IN TOUR
- Private transportation to and from the trek in quality vehicles (vehicle type depends on group size).
- Pickup from your hotel / hostel in central La Paz
- Bilingual Guide (English and Spanish) – qualified and licensed
- Cook and all cooking equipment and meals
- Camping Equipment – quality branded tent, mattress
- Trekking extras – gaffa tape, hand steriliser gel
Also Available for Use Upon Request (RENT)
- Quality branded sleeping bags
- Head Torch
- Waterproof poncho
- Trekking pole
- Sleeping bag – can be rented for 50 Bs (pay on first morning but let us know in advance)
- Poles – can also be rented for 50 Bs
- Water – we recommend 2 liters to start with, then you can purchase more from local shops on the way or you can refill from natural streams (in this case you will need water purification tablets that you can easily find in pharmacies)
- Travel Insurance – recommended
- Sunglasses and sun cream
- Return bus back to La Paz 15-20bs
- Entrance fee Chucura Viallage on route 10bs