Climbing Bolivia 3 Days Trip
Climbing Bolivia 3 Days – Pequeño Alpamayo is 5370 meter (17618 feet) mountain that is part of the Condoriri Massif. Not very technical this is a good option to climb before attempting larger peaks or purely for the incredible views it provides. This is Andean mountain scenery at its best and one reason this is the second most climbed peak in Bolivia.
We leave La Paz in the morning to drive towards the village of Tuni (around 2 hours) where we will load the pack animals that will carry our gear to the base camp. The trek to the base camp is through a valley of llama pasture that passes by a couple of lakes as we walk towards the Condoriri Massif. There are stunning views of the mountain range as we make our way along the trail.The trek is easy and only takes around 2 to 3 hours until we reach Laguna Chiarcota where we set up camp for the night. (4624 meters – 15170 feet)
We awake early around 4 am and have breakfast and a warming coca tea before setting off on a short trek towards the glacier (approx 1 hour) where we will put on our crampons and rope up. Our first ascent is of Pico Tarija (5300 meters – 17388 feet) which we must first climb and then descend some 70 meters to get to the ridge of Pequeño Alpamayo. From the top of Pico Tarija the view of Pequeño Alpamayo is stunning and we will pause for a rest and to take photographs. After resting we descend by a rocky trail then follow the ridge up to the peak of Pequeño Alpamayo. Another break to take in the surrounding mountain views before returning along the same route to the base camp where we will eat dinner and rest for the night.
We will pack up camp after breakfast and return through the valley again to meet with our transport back to La Paz arriving around midday.
INCLUDED IN TOUR
- Private transportation to and from the climb
- Qualified Mountain Guide , Spanish speaking
- Camping equipment – tent, mattress, cooking equipment
- Equipment – Climbing Boots, Crampons, Ice Axe, Mountain jacket and Trousers, harness, ropes, gloves etc
- Meals including drinks at camp meals
- Pack animals where indicated
NOT INCLUDED IN TOUR
- Sleeping Bag (required to at least -10) – you can rent a sleeping bag -18 from us if required (deposit required)
- Head torch – if you dont have your own we can supply this – you supply batteries
- Thermal under trousers , fleece jacket and thermal upper body wear, fleece hat, perosnal gloves for inside mountain gloves
- Backpack 50 to 60 liters for carrying personal equipment
- Water (2 liters bottle required – refills available)
- Chocolate or high calorie sweets /snacks
- Warm gloves for wearing inside Mountain Gloves, Warm Hat
- Sunglasses, Sun cream and Lip balm – essential.
- Travel Insurance – recommended
- Any camp or national park fees (sometimes charged /sometimes not)